Missing Medication Monday (December 9 Blog Dare)

 This update is written for the Blog Dare December 2013, hosted by Bloggy Moms.

The entire season took a deep breath and held it. Honestly, I wasn’t sure the world would continue, never mind the rest of the holidays. Oh, I’m sure no one else would have noticed, but this morning, well…

I should explain. The last two days have been incredibly crazy. Crazy enough, in fact, to have “craftily” used a nursery rhyme in not one, but two separate updates. (Please forgive the pun!) Two trips to Grammy’s and back tend to make one tired, but I thought I was handling it rather well. Until I woke up this morning. Wanna know why the holidays almost didn’t continue?


Not only did I forget it, I forgot it at Grammy’s. So there I was, relaxing in my bed, thinking Biggest would be happy to play a little while with his trucks, so I could get a little more sleep.

Hang on, it’s 6am, I should probably go get my pill. What day is it today? Oh right, it’s Monday. Good thing I filled that prescription on Friday. Uh…. 

Here’s where I bolt out of my bed in a dead panic, realizing that there isn’t anything left in my pill container and my new bottle is a 20 minute walk (sans kids) away. Here’s where I also realize that my husband has his worst midterm to prepare for this morning, and I have to bundle both of them down 4 flights of stairs into a freezing cold, still dark morning. Here’s where I also realize that the pill I’m supposed to take is going to turn my day into hell (IE: shaky hands, hot/cold flashes, possibly some sweating) if I don’t take it in the next hour, which means I don’t have time for breakfast until after we get back.

A quick, apologetic call to my poor sleeping parents secured the location of said prescription so I didn’t have to rummage around in their house, potentially causing my dad to call the police or my mother to conk me on the noggin with her cast-iron pan collection. A quick, heaven-sent thank you for Littlest’s 4am bottle (it ensured his safe non-vocal cooperation until we returned for his cereal), and I had my children out the door in what should be known as a household record. 5 minutes. Biggest didn’t even have a hissy fit about putting his pants on. (Side note: What is it with boys and not wanting to put their pants on? As a kid, I would have rather been dunked into a volcano than go without pants.)

Half way there, my panic receded just enough to slow down so Biggest could walk instead of run. Thank heavens I gave him a banana before we left. I remembered that my mouth was capable of something other than gasping for air and Biggest and I proceeded to enjoy the rest of the walk. I don’t think Littlest cared, he seemed more interested in the sound his vocal cords made when we went over all the ice bumps. As I was telling him we wouldn’t be staying at Grammy’s, that they were still sleeping, and that I was just going to get my medication, Biggest surprised me. Normally we call it my wake-up pill, so medication was a new word to him. I was about to mention the cool truck we were passing, and all of a sudden, he said it. The whole entire word, all the syllables, perfectly. That’s my boy!

The rest was uneventful. We made it home. I took my pill. We had breakfast. I had a nap.

Note to self: put pill bottle in pocket after getting prescription filled, rather than putting it in a nondescript bag. It will be forgotten when we’re done shopping.

The season can continue. (Yay!)

The Handler.


What Do You Think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s