Light At The End Of The Tunnel

I… Have successfully had one full week of getting out the door.. EARLY! Who knew, jelly beans and loot really can make a difference! In fact, I have had over 20 minutes to drink my morning beverage without having to do something else while in the middle of enjoying it! How, you might ask? Well…

#1: Bribery. I am not above bribery. The nerdy thing I mentioned last time has been working like a charm, and honestly, 3 jelly beans in the morning really just isn’t that drastic. Don’t like jelly beans as loot? Fine! I’ve also got tokens to buy stuff from my store, and an “event” for later, such as extra reading time, or clean up help. And really, why not. We reward ourselves with coffees, bubble baths, and a whole host of other things, why shouldn’t it work for them?

#2: Making lunches at the beginning of the week. Not the fresh stuff (it wouldn’t be fresh by Friday, now would it?)… but the dry stuff like crackers and raisins can be organised (and are!) into daily buckets to make lunches doable in a third of the time. This will be the third week I’ve done all the buckets on Sunday nights, and it has made a world of difference. The only trick is making sure I start early enough so that I’m not up until 2:00am, because that makes double drop-off mornings kiiiind of awful. For me. Not the kids. They’re too busy with the jellybeans.


In other news, my husband received a bursary for his tuition this fall, and we were invited to attend an awards reception as a result. I was able to go dress shopping, and it was delightful. Even more delightful was the fact that both boys made it through dress shopping, and I found a dress that fit in less than 30 minutes. Speed shopping with Mom Ears for the win. Side note: explain change rooms better, I was almost exposed at least 5 times in the course of said 30 minutes, because the tractors that were available needed to bulldoze the curtain. Too bad the construction crew didn’t get the notice that it needed to stay closed. Ah well, live and learn. The awards night was delightful, as I was honoured to make the acquaintance of a couple of the college’s faculty members, as well as the president and the head of the Business Department. My husband has worked with both of them closely during his studies and volunteer work, and it was nice to add faces to the names. Also, it was an excuse to dress up.


Biggest did something really sweet today. A friend of my mother’s is in a wheelchair, and without any prompting at all, he took out one of his books for the week on the subject of disabled people and how they get around. He told Grammy it was so he could learn about her friend. Proud mama right here!


Littlest has adjusted nicely to being alone, though he’s become quite the chatterbox. The few times we’ve been alone without having to go somewhere and do something, I’ve been fed dinner after plastic dinner, and he hasn’t stopped talking. Once. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that it’s likely he got that from me.


And with that, I bid you a very tired and sleepy, but also happy good night.

The Handler


What Do You Think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s